There are only a few key ways to drive traffic to your e-commerce website and online store. Search, social or email. That’s it really.
The next part of the challenge is making your tactics are optimal and that takes time, testing and trial and error.
In the scheme of things they are all important but for e-commerce, email is one of the most important ways to get customers to buy and most important email is a transactional email.
So what are the 5 major types of transactional emails?
- Welcome email
- Abandoned cart email
- Receipt email
- Shipping confirmation email
- Product review email
So how can you optimize your transactional emails?
There are some studies that have revealed the key ways to optimize your transactional emails.
Here are 5 ways to improve your email Marketing for your ecommerce store.
1. Welcome email
Studies have shown that the average revenue for a welcome email is $5.83 which compares to just 53c for a bulk email.
Here are 3 ways to improve your welcome email.
- Include an offer as that alone can more than double your revenue per email
- Make sure that your subject line is clear and concise
- Send a series of emails rather than one and this can improve transaction rates by as much as 40%
2. Abandoned cart email
Over two-thirds of online shopping carts are abandoned, usually due to unexpected costs popping up that the consumer was unaware of, such as shipping. A quick reminder can reduce abandonment by up to 40%.
Here are 2 key tips.
- Using a specific item in the reminder can improve open rates by 10%
- Recommending an additional purchase can increase click through rates by more than 50%
3. Receipt email
The average open rate of a receipt email is 114.4% as they are often opened several times.
Here are two pro tips.
- Include “thank you” otherwise you will suffer a 35% reduction in click rates
- Include links to social media channels and increase your click through rates by more then 55%
4. Shipping confirmation email
A shipping confirmation email receives a 20.8% click rate compared to just 3.1% for bulk emails.
Here are two ways to optimize.
- Adding cross-sell recommendations increases transaction rates by 20%
- To reduce your costs for your customer service ensure that you include all the information the customer needs, such as order number, tracking number, date order was placed, delivery date etc.
5. Product review email
Around 10% of customers will respond to a product review email, which again is much better than your general email marketing rates. Also the value of obtaining customer reviews is illustrated by the fact that customer reviews are seen as 12 times more trustworthy than a manufacturers description.
Also 63% of consumers are more likely to to make a purchase from a site that offers customer reviews.
Here are 2 tips.
- Include the word “review in the subject line and this will boost open rates by as much as 28%.
- The ideal time gap between purchase and sending a review email is 2-3 weeks
Infographic source: Easysmtp.com
What about you?
How effective is your email marketing? Are you just doing bulk emails? Could you do better?
Look forward to insights and stories in the comments below.